Thread: Cigar Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Cigar Thread

[ QUOTE ]
The real question that I have for all you people that know much more than me, what cigars should I start out with? And after I know some more and appreciate cigars where should I go from there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I think the best way to get started with cigars is kind of the same way most of the guys around here started learning more about poker... find an online forum resource that you can trust, and lurk around for a while. My personal favorite is clubstogie.com... also, there's a handful of really good cigar podcasts out there that you can download.

One trap that you see cigar-newbs fall into constantly is the hype or reputation. As with most things, "value" has very little to do with "price", and everyone enjoys different things. I've smoked FANTASTIC cigars that were $2/stick, and I've smoked some complete dogrockets that cost me upwards of $15.

If you're JUST starting out, I'd suggest trying out a handful of the larger manufacturers, so you know you're at least getting a decent-quality product, and just buy single sticks. All different wrappers, all different sizes. You'll learn really quickly that you prefer a Connecticut or a Maduro wrapper, or if you like a Robusto or a Churchill. Once you learn the lingo and what you like, it's pretty easy to branch out from there to some other types of cigars that you're not familiar with.

Don't be intimidated by a B&M tobacconist... they should be there to educate you and to steer you in the right direction. You should be able to tell your tobacconist what you've liked or disliked in the past, and he should be able to point you towards some other pruduct that you might like. Preferably without just pointing you right at the $20/stick garbage.

Also, don't always associate a dark wrapper on a cigar with a very powerful cigar. Don't be afraid to grab that CAO MX2 just because it looks like a deathstick. It's surprisingly gentle. Likewise, don't always assume that a lighter wrapper means it's not going to knock your socks off. Some of the mildest looking cigars will have you swimming before you're done.

Keep trying, experimenting, learning. You'll find some favorites pretty quickly, but don't ever just limit yourself to one brand, one wrapper, one size, etc.

If you're anything like me, you'll jump right into it quickly. You'll start out thinking that you should only smoke mild cigars. Then you'll love a couple of really bold cigars. Then you'll start to appreciate the complexity of some expensive cigars. Then you'll realize that your wallet is empty and you need to find some good budget cigars. By that point your tastes and pallet will have developed to the point where you'll want certain cigar profiles for different times.