View Single Post
Old 02-11-2007, 02:56 AM

Default Re: The Rest of Asia

I just got back about 3 weeks ago from Vietnam. We were visiting my fiance's family. This may not be an issue for you but we had 3 Vietnamese nationals with us when entering / exiting the country, they live and work in the U.S. Anyways they forgot to stamp the passport of one of them and upon leaving the customs officers said they werent going to let him leave unless he paid $100. So watch out for that and make sure everything is stamped / verified before leaving the customs officer upon entering.

In Vietnam, I am not sure what types of things you want to do. We took a tour of Independence Palace in downtown Saigon. We actually spent most of our time about an hour south of Can Tho. It's a very rural area and the people are very friendly.

It's very strange to have to cross a river on a ferry. It takes about 3 hours to get from the back of the line to across the river into Can Tho.

In Saigon one of the other attractions we went to was Dam Sen Park. It's an amusement park and is kind of strange in the middle of the city it's this huge place that stands out for how quiet it is inside there. You forget just how loud the city is until you notice how quiet the park is. They also have a huge ferris wheel that is cool either at night or day. It only costs about a dollar, 15,000 dong.

If you go to the park be sure to eat at their restaurant, it is very good and has a boat with a dancefloor, unfortunately when we were there there was a wedding so we couldn't go on the boat but whatever.

Taking a boat up and down parts of the Mekong river is fun as there are many amazing sights along the way. I'm not sure there's anything finer than chewing fresh picked sugar cane and cruising down the river to some unknown destination.

If you have any specific questions either pm me or ask in thread.

Edited to remove nonworking pictures