View Single Post
Old 02-10-2007, 08:38 PM

Default Can anyone ID this movie about a startup?

Saw this post on Ask MetaFilter and it's been driving me nuts. I've scoured Google and IMDB to no avail. Anyone have any ideas?

[ QUOTE ]
Help me identify this dotcom boom movie?
February 10, 2007 3:45 AM
What is the name of this movie about a video-streaming startup?

About six months ago, I watched a movie (fictional) about a Silicon Valley startup during the dot-com boom, and for the life of me can't remember its name - two hours of Googling and searching IMDb turned up nothing. It's definitely *not* Startup.com or Pirates of Silicon Valley.

Here is what I remember:

- The founders are friends at a Bay Area university (probably Stanford)
- The main character's mentor is a business school teacher, who later turns out to be an important venture capitalist (I think he takes the student out flying in an airplane)
- The startup's product was a video streaming service - however, during their demo, their computer actually catches fire
- The protagonist gets caught cheating by his girlfriend after she receives a video of his antics in a car
- The protagonist ends up in Mexico, on the run after a fight in the boardroom, and has his Porsche stolen
- It was filmed a year or two after the bust

None of the above proved fruitful in searching online. Has anyone seen this movie? I'd love to rewatch and show some friends - the movie itself wasn't particularly great, but they nailed a lot of the startup archetypes. Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Movies it isn't:
Startup.com
E-Dreams
Pirates of Silicon Valley
Dot.com
The First $20 Million Is Always the Hardest
Antitrust
Want