View Single Post
Old 02-09-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Gentleman, give it to me straight, do you think the sky is falling

A couple thoughts:

1. For the near-term, grinding online playing tight-solid poker to good to great profits is over at any game, including MTTs, SNGs, and mid-stakes cash. The games have gotten too tough.

2. More advanced players good at playing situations and shifting gears have less to worry about, although I personally know of only a handful of such players who can do so effectively while 8-tabling.

3. The "rush" of new money is indeed over. The enormous volume of new/bad players with decent amounts to spend have done so, and learned they're not good or poker is harder then they thought. I'm not saying such players don't exist or won't continue to come, but it was this huge "boom" of them that made tight-solid poker so profitable. Instead of 7 other bad players waiting to pay off your big hands at a table, you are now seeing a lot less.

4. New/bad players who are going to continue to play are mostly taking advantage of the enormous amount of information on how to play halfway decent poker, and are not nearly as bad as the huge amounts that fed the profits of the last few years.

5. Live poker will continue to be very profitable and very accessible, but for the online tight/solid grinder it is a tough transition going from 8-tabling to 1-tabling live, and there are adjustments to be made in stakes/bankroll as well.

6. I am really, really glad I did not give into multiple impulses I had halfway through last year to at least temporarily close my law practice and take up poker full-time. I do not envy those of you who dropped out of college to grind out an online poker living. I find it highly doubtful then more then say 5% of you are ready to make the transitions necessary to continue making a living at this game.