View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Missing bets and underplaying your hand in razz

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are leaving money on the table.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you could explain yourself, that would be nice. Do you suggest check-raising 4th?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) If you are 100% positive he will bet if checked to, then 85% of the time he will call down a c/r - never believing you. Therefore you are leaving money on the table.

2) In the event it checks through you are leaving money on the table. Many players will check behind with an equally strong board because they become suspicious on 4th street. Or they are willing to call with a strog board but in reality have a weak hand and they are afraid to be on 4th.

In short, the line only works when the villain doesn't think, always bets when checked to, is a calling station, and is not likely to raise himself. And even then you should be check-raising - get your money in there and gamble!

However if the value of your hands were closer, or your up against a very tough opponent who can read the strength of a c/r then a check-call is perfectly reasonable. But lets face it - both a c/c and a c/r are only possible in "perfect storm" situations.... the vast majority of the time you should be betting; you never know when the villain might raise lightly, allowing you to re-pop him!

Rather than underplaying on 3d or 4th you should be thinking about other opportunities such as raising a worse board on 5th street when the values are close because you might get a free card on 6th street - aka a free showdown. You also gain if you catch a baby card on 6th street, it <u>might</u> force a fold with the better hand.

The right place to miss a bet is on 6th street if you have a lock on the board, and you think your opponent will fold to a bet (this usually works really well if the value of your hand is disguised, allowing you to check behind on 6th street but you know he is bad). By checking you may induce a bet - allowing you to raise 7th, or more likely he will call a suspicious bet on 7th when he might have folded otherwise.

Lucky me - I have to run out again, I hope the above made sense. No time to proof read. ugh.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]