View Single Post
Old 02-06-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Re: The Hip-Hop Thread, or Dids\'s Top 10 Hip-Hop Albums

I'll take a stab at this. In no particular order off the top of my head:

1. N.W.A-Straight Outta Compton
The first rap album I ever bought. This albume is to hip-hop what "Nevermind" was to alternative. It was that important.

2. Ice-T-Power: Kicks ass beginning to end. Bonus points for sampling "Magic Man" by Heart.

3. Eazy-E-Eazy Duz It: Loved the songs, and the fact that my family was offended by songs about robbing banks and shooting cops. A classic in every sense of the word.

4. The Cactus Album-Third Base: Off the wall. Never could pinpoint why I loved this record, but I still listen to it.

5. It Takes A Nation of Millions...-Public Enemy: All of the other white kids in my high school were scared of Public Enemy. You have to love a record that makes people look at themselves and take stock. The first mix of politics and rap, and Chuck D did it like no one else.

6. It's a Big Daddy Thang-Big Daddy Kane: "Anything goes when it comes to hoes because pimpin ain't easy"-nuff said.

7. Youngest in Charge-Special Ed: The beats were cool and laid back, and so was his vocal style. This guy should have been huge.

8. Knowledge is Power-Kool Moe Dee: Maybe the most intelligent rap artist ever. Great lyrics.

9. The Predator-Ice Cube: He gets political and he gets agressive, and it's awesome. His best work.

10. Business as Usual-EPMD: I loved the contrast in their vocal styles. One up front and agressive, the other laid back. This was their best work IMO.