View Single Post
Old 02-04-2007, 06:40 PM

Default General Music Discussion Thread (a.k.a. indie lovefest)

I originally created this thread to share some of my favorite albums that I've never seen talked about on 2+2 (at least not in any great length). I titled the thread the way I did because I didn't want to limit the discussion to just these albums, and I figured EDGD needed a more general music-discussion thread.

I have 5 or 6 albums specifically in mind for this thread, but I'm going to post them one at a time (I promise I won't forget/lose momentum). I'll probably put another one up tonight after the game if I'm not too drunk and tired.

So feel free to comment on my stuff, share some of your favorite albums/bands, whatever. Also, I'm not much of a writer, and I've never formally reviewed an album in my life, so bear with me.

Songs: Ohia - Magnolia Electric Co.

Songs: Ohia is a one-man singer/songwriter from Cleveland. Most of his stuff is really low-key/slow/somber, but this album is a little different. It's not exactly upbeat, but there's so much different instrumentation going on here that it's a lot more accessible for people who can't just listen to an hour of guitar & vocals. Also, this album is far from being a one-man project, since Molina brought in several different musicians and even a couple guest vocalists on two of the tracks.

What I really love about this album is how it doesn't sound anything like an "indie-rock" album. His stuff is more reminiscent of Springsteen's Nebraska than anything recorded in the last ten years. I had this playing in my car with my 50-year-old dad, and he was like "Who is this? This is really good."

Highlights for me include Just Be Simple, Almost Was Good Enough, and Hold On Magnolia.