View Single Post
Old 02-04-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Visiting Europe for a month this summer

[ QUOTE ]
Met,

I'll just give you advice on the Italy sector. Milan in August is unbearable. The city empties at this time and is left to any visitor foolish enough to wander in. It is not just the heat but the humidity. I've lived in the tropics and I was stunned at how horrible Milan is at this time. It's also not that great a city, compared to the ones that you're visiting. I think you can do much better here.

Your entire trip is cities. Why not take that weekend in Italy to get out into the countryside? Instead of hitting Milan you could go a bit further North to Lake Como or Lake Garda over towards Verona. The Alps are the place to be in Summer and the nightlife on Garda Lake is sensational.

If you're really stuck on Milan I'll ring a couple of mates who live there and ask what's good to do at that time. English is fairly common in Rome and Venice but that's about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Adsman is 100% correct about Milan. Go in and get out. Perhaps, the Italian Riviera. Como or Garda are good ideas too. Day trip to Switzerland maybe.

At any rate - before you board the train in Rome, in addition to your ticket I suggest you get a reserved seat - when you buy a train ticket in Europe you are usually only buying a place on board, not a specific seat. For a nominal fee you can get a reserved seat. This way you are guaranteed 1) a seat and 2) seat near your brother. Especially 2nd class - gets really crowded. Theoretically you could end up standing in the aisle from Rome to Milan if you don’t have a reserved seat.

Before you leave Rome - buy some bread, cheese, wine, bottled water, and salami (or similar) to enjoy on your day trip to Milan. If you have time in Rome you can get this at the out door market, Campo de Fiori, which is an event in itself.

Rome - don’t leave without seeing the Pantheon. I could go on about Rome, let me know how specific you want to get. e.g. Best pizza is in Trastevere district.