View Single Post
Old 02-04-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Yes I have cleaned toilets

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You seem like a reasonably smart guy, why did you stay in the grocery industry for nine and a half years? Or, what circumstances would you say compelled you to stay?

[/ QUOTE ]
"Reasonably smart" - that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

You'd be surprised - the grocery business is loaded with managers making decent money. Case in point, when I left the business in 1998 at 25 I was making >$40K plus bennies and rarely worked more than 40 hours/week. Not that I was making thick bank but it's not as bad as most people think. And that was just a department manager - the guys who run the store will clear $60-150K depending on the chain and the store's volume.

But it's a horrible grind (working a lot of weekends, holidays, the customer service aspect, etc.) and a terrible trap - virtually nobody in management chose that career, and the profit margins are sliver-thin so they're always looking at labor costs as expendable. My experience with most of the career guys is that they worked at a store through college and were making decent money, and then before they could utilize their degree they were married with kids, had no resume to speak of, and thus couldn't really switch careers without taking a hit in pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I have worked at a grocery store for about 7 years mostly because I can write my own schedule and I get paid decent... retirement is very nice as in I have like 10k which should be 50k (just split 5 to 1) in a few years alll GIVEN to me didn't put a dime in..

As far as managers in my store they make 50-60k with bonuses... my store manager will make about 120k this year... (they get bonuses 4 times a year and for the store manager it can be like 10k+ )

anyways it sucks working nights and weekends but when youre a full time student and suck at poker not really that bad...