View Single Post
Old 02-04-2007, 04:34 AM

Default Re: Do you believe in some sort of God(s)?

Something that I think would be worth examining in another thread is the question of where right and wrong comes from. I'm sure (as others have referenced) that there's some sort of evolutionary biological explanation for this, and I'd be interested to hear it. I'm also curious about the other explanations used by militant atheists. (I should note that I don't mean to suggest that "right" and "wrong" are objective measures for all of humanity, but merely that those who are free of mental illness can come to a general consensus about certain thoughts or actions that are unnatural, inhumane, or otherwise just plain bad.)

In response to the OP, no, I don't believe in "God" as that concept would be generally expressed in Western religion. I have what you might call somewhat Taoist leanings, in that I think that a certain "Way" runs through existence and that free men (as all are in their minds) can choose a course of action that in varying degrees conflicts or accords with that "Way." I guess I mean to say that there IS in fact some objective good and evil, and than action that causes discord with "the Way" or that muddies one's perception of this truth is in a sense counterproductive (though it won't result in any sort of punishment beyond simple ignorance of truth and perhaps temporal unhappiness).

This is probably a subject that is best discussed at a time other than 3:30 am, so I'll leave it there for now.