View Single Post
Old 02-04-2007, 04:02 AM

Default Re: LO8 1/2 - Can you find all the ways this hand was misplayed?

Preflop - it may be a losing play, but I think I often complete with 3 wheel cards myself. If you're lucky, a wheel might wind up nut high+nut low.

Flop - No doubt someone has qualified low and you're likely fighting for half the pot. But with 4 outs (4s and 5s) to fill up for high half, 4 outs (As) to wheel for low+2nd high straight, and 9 outs (clubs) for 3rd flush, calling one bet seems worthwhile (not to mention your two pair has a small chance to win high unimproved). An aggressive player might even raise, but I suspect call > raise > fold. You'd of course much rather see an A, 4, or 5 than a club.

Turn - The 6 is bad for you - an A no longer gives you 2nd high, your full house outs are no longer nuts, and your 6-high straight is losing to 7- and 8- high straights. You still have the same outs as before, but it'll likely cost you more to see the river (villians behind will raise their straights to charge flush draws). Calling the first bet is a marginal mistake, calling the 3-bet is almost certainly a bigger mistake.

River - With 4 players still around after the turn, your 6-high straight is likely good only if all 3 villians were playing A3xx for low or chasing flush draws. Given that you hold a 3 and a couple clubs and with the betting on the turn, that's not too likely, so I'd given 1 villian credit for a better straight and find a fold. However, you have enough pot equity that calling is probably only a small mistake now that you've come this far.