View Single Post
Old 02-04-2007, 01:57 AM

Default Re: 30 hours in Vegas - Wynn hotel, Alex dining, Prince show

[ QUOTE ]
Steve - price for the tasting menu? That sounds outstanding!

[/ QUOTE ]

The tasting menu was $195, with the wine pairings $325.

I will be the first to admit that is a lot. We like to go to a restaurant locally that does 3 course prix fixe with wine pairings. Even if we throw in an additional cheese course, we aren't spending $150 there.

But I would say that we got value for the money. I tried lots I have not had, and had clearly superior preparation of food I have experience with. It passed all my restaurant tests with flying colors.

Then I started to research the wines this past week.

I had the list (since we took the menu with us) so I started looking for them online. The Pierre Peters can be had for around $40 a bottle, maybe less, the dessert wine is around $25-30 a bottle.

But the others...

The Turley White Coat is around $50 if you can find it

I found a 1990 des Baumard Quarts de Chaume for $100

The French pinot noir (2002 Les Champeaux) can be had for $95

It was easy to get a price on the Valdicava Brunello di Montalcino because my local wine merchant carries it. He is asking $125 (Parker, who I do not pay any attention to, apparently gave it a 98). But, hey, at least with that one I would not have to pay shipping and have it sent to someone in a state other than Maryland, where wine can't be shipped to an individual.

I don't know what a restaurant would ask for those bottles of wine, but I think getting those 6 glasses of wine for $130 was a positively excellent value.