View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Re: What about \'recovered religious\'?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What can we conclude from the fact that they questioned their belief system and then abandoned it, despite having had that clarifying deeper dialogue with God which I apparantly should expect if only I were to choose to believe?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apostasy is hardly new. Israel throughout the OT was leaving God and pursuing idolatry. Even while Moses was on the mountain receiveing the 10 commandments the people were making the golden calf and worshipping it. Solomon, the wisest man during his time, fell into idolatry during the latter part of his life. In the NT many warnings are given about falling away. Paul says he examines himself daily and even hints about the possibility he might be found wanting. Peter assured Jesus he would never leave him and shortly thereafter denied Him three times. I think the reasons for unbelief are the same whether someone has never believed or has at some time professed belief.

[ QUOTE ]

He says examining the circular nature of his beliefs and reading the Bible as a historical document converted him to atheism

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if he has examined the circular nature of his current beliefs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that it really matters to your point, and I think I agree with what you are really saying, but I think you are misusing 'circular' here. Or at least, your general position, in this and other threads, is misusing the idea of circularity. My core beliefs aren't circular. I don't use reason to figure out that I have reason. I don't use my free will to figure out I have free will. Its not circular, unless its ME who doesn't know what circular means.