View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 06:49 AM

Default Re: Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentin

[ QUOTE ]
Biggest downsides to BA:

The noise.
I live on Av Cabildo in Belgrano...pretty much 24/7 traffic.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you live on an Avenida then yeah, you are going to get noise. I live two blocks from Santa Fe but that is far enough away to block out any noise problems.

[ QUOTE ]
The food.
Man am I fed up of pasta, pizza, meat and empanadas! Thank god for Barrio Chino (ChinaTown).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to disagree but I haven't been here long enough. I actually get to eat out more often since it is so damn cheap. I've actually only had pasta once so far and it was when a friend cooked it. I just don't eat at the traditional stuff all the time. There are good chinese, sushi, Indian, Mexican, and Thai restaurants here that help balance out all of the meat and empanadas and pasta. I keep a pretty good balance and haven't found myself getting sick of anything yet. The wine is amazing for $3-4 a bottle. Makes the meal.

[ QUOTE ]
The dirt.
Have to say most Argentines don't seem to give a [censored] about litter, have yet to see a Porteno use the bins on the street. Also there's dog [censored] all over the pavements in Belgrano. (All those f-ing poodles!).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is any big city though. Walk down NYC and there is trash thrown on the street and dog [censored] everywhere. I personally don't think it is that bad, but when I see one of those dog walkers with 25 dogs have them all simultaneously crap at once in front of my place and he just keeps walking, I want to strangle him. That said, this is like NYC or Dublin in dirtiness... not Mexico City.

[ QUOTE ]
I've never once felt in danger here. Argentina is WAY safer than Paraguay for e.g (the GF is Paraguayan). In the better off barrios there's practically a cop on every block. I'm actually more fearful of them than strangers. (Always carry a 100 peso note in your wallet....usually solves any 'misunderstandings').

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, there is definitely a cop every few blocks in my area even in the middle of the night. Have yet to run into a problem with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
99% dark skinned, dark haired

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait... were we in the same Argentina? I'll give you the 90%+ dark-haired, but almost no one has dark skin. They are 90%+ white.

And yes I will take a few beers anytime.