View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 04:01 AM

Default Mark it

[ QUOTE ]
'Over-consumption'....What is that?

'Wild capitalist abandon'....What is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

=

Virtually.

[ QUOTE ]
The 'rest of the world' will continue on with or without the human race. If humans become extinct, whether by their own mischief or some other natural force(s), the 'rest of the world' will evolve on, sans humans (and others species that will fall victim to human activities).

[/ QUOTE ]Misanthropes through many of us are, it is logical for mankind to proceed along the course that provides the best chance of preserving our (sole) natural habitat.

It's either this, or an expedient suicide.

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps another hominid type species will evolve again.

[/ QUOTE ]This is not relevant to the issue, but the appearance of our kind of hominids was already such an outside shot, that it is pretty much evident that another shot will likely not result in the same outcome. (I.e. if we were to re-wind History some hundreds of millions of years back and let it roll again, we would almost certainly end up with extremely different forms of life on the planet.)

[ QUOTE ]
I thought you knew that Man was not the center of the universe.

[/ QUOTE ]He isn't. We aren't. This doesn't mean that Man cannot, by now, seriously affect his environment to the point of, God-like, destroying it.

That's the whole point, really. Man's ability to do extreme, God-like damage. He doesn't have the capacity to do God-like good.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...it must be a catastrophy which won't be lethal for the human race, or the rest of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]As for "which won't be lethal for the human race" you missed the mark wide.

[/ QUOTE ]There can be such catastrophies. I won't bother with providing examples, since this tends to derail the discussion and we focus on the example rather than issue.

Mickey Brausch