View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentin

Great thread.

My $0.02.

I left the UK nearly 4yrs ago...to pursue a Perpetual Traveller lifestyle, online poker being my source of income. Ended up in Buenos Aires two years ago.

It's possible to live here for many years on a tourist visa....just hop on a ferry to Uruguay every 3 months.

TheMeteron is bang on with pretty much everything he says.

You don't necessarily have to bother with language school. Get yourself a local GF....a much more fun way to learn [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Biggest downsides to BA:

The noise.
I live on Av Cabildo in Belgrano...pretty much 24/7 traffic.

The food.
Man am I fed up of pasta, pizza, meat and empanadas! Thank god for Barrio Chino (ChinaTown).

The dirt.
Have to say most Argentines don't seem to give a [censored] about litter, have yet to see a Porteno use the bins on the street. Also there's dog [censored] all over the pavements in Belgrano. (All those f-ing poodles!).

I've never once felt in danger here. Argentina is WAY safer than Paraguay for e.g (the GF is Paraguayan). In the better off barrios there's practically a cop on every block. I'm actually more fearful of them than strangers. (Always carry a 100 peso note in your wallet....usually solves any 'misunderstandings').

The people are what make this place IMO. They are warm, friendly and welcoming as a rule. Never had a problem with being English, locals love to joke about the 'hand of god', and I always tell them that Las Malvinas (The Falklands) are theirs. Usually goes down well. The girls are beautiful and plentiful...99% dark skinned, dark haired....if a little high-maintainance at times.

Rents are rising fast. I got lucky last summer and found a studio flat in a brand new building, fully furnished (all brand new), AC, cable, broadband, cleaner service (said Paraguayan [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])....and best of all pool for 600USD/month, all-in. Expect to pay $800...especially if going through an Inmobiliaria (estate agent).

TheMetereon: fancy a few cervezas sometime?!