View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Stem cell research (and storage)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Indeed Richard Branson (Of Virgin airlines and others, fame ) has now proposed to set up a stem cell bank in the UK, where parents for a consideration of 1,500 punds would be able to store their children stem cells should it ever be needed to cure genetic diseases. The most interesting thing about the bank that will be funded by Richard Branson, is that 20% of the collected cells of an individual will be stored for the exclusive use by the child/parents if needed, the other 80% will be available to research, to save others live (by matching etc.) a bit like blood donation.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I first heard about umbilical cord stem cells a couple years back, I thought(albiet not to seriously) about starting some sort of bank here in the United States. I decided I just didn't have the necessary expertise. It seems like a such a common sense ideal, I'm sure its being contemplated by people who have the skill set necessary to make it happen. Not only could you collect a collection fee, but there is risidual income from storage. Icing on the cake is revenue from providing stem cell lines to researchers.

I don't think your going to find anyone with a religious objection to harvesting stem cells from umbilical cords. Religious folk are likely to encourage the behavior.

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? For how long? We are talking about pluripotent cells here, which, with enough research, could be turned into a full human being. No fertilization or conception event necessary. Are you sure that most religious groups would be ok with these being available for research? Up until what point?