View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentin

I just got medical insurance so I can finally answer the questions I got earlier about it.

There are many private hospitals and private insurance carriers in Argentina. The private hospitals are somewhat cheaper than the private insurance compnies. It should be noted that you don't technical need to pay for one of these as there is a public health system that will cover foreigners as well, but I'd prefer not to deal with that bureaucracy and wait times.

The private insurance company that I went to was Swiss Medical. They had two all-inclusive plans: one for just specific places Buenos Aires and one that was good all over Argentina at practically anywhere. The limited plan was 140 pesos. My plan was 190 pesos. I'm sure this is adjusted based on your age (I'm 22).

It includes pretty much everything without any co-pays or deductibles. It also includes full dental and they pay for half of any orthodontics you may want/need. You can see a doctor within 15 minutes of showing up at one of their facilities in most cases. Most doctors speak English and you can request one that does so when making your appointment.

My first time using this will be in a few days when I get my teeth cleaned. I'll let everyone know how it worked out in doing so.

Edit: Whoops. Forgot the exchange rate. 3.1 pesos is 1 US Dollar.