View Single Post
Old 02-01-2007, 09:38 PM

Default Re: DeathDonkey is in the well

Is the 40/80 BOTE game you talked about in a recent blog entry a regular game at Commerce? Is there a regular mix game at 1/2? If so, what factors cause you to play straight holdem instead of the mix?

[ QUOTE ]
recently I learned Badeucey which is a 5 card draw game with three drawing rounds (triple draw) where the pot is split between the best 2-7 triple draw lowball hand and the best 4 card badugi hand where the nut badugi is 2345 rainbow.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is basically a theory question I guess. I've thought about this game before I ever heard of it actually being played and at the time I couldn't decide whether it would best be played as A-5/Badugi split, 2-7/Badugi split or 2-7/Badugi 2-5 split. At the time I felt like having it be 2-7/Badugi with normal Badugi rankings would make it so that starting hands with an Ace would be trap hands for suckers, which I at first thought was good and one of my favorite reasons to play split pot games. After thinking about it more I thought that by having it 2-7/Badugi it would be just like Stud hilo regular and that the bad but not retarded players wouldn't play high hands (in this case non-nut Ace starting hands) and the truly horrible ones would play their A25 starters and quickly go BUSTO which is bad for the long term. Thoughts on these ideas and whether 2-7/Badugi 2-5 is the best way to play it?

Do you think wacky games like the triple draw split pot games or 2-7 Razz will ever be popular at higher levels or are they just gimmicky games that people make up and play for a couple days before they get bored of it?

You probably aren't the person to ask, but I thought of it for some reason, so I'll mention it anyway. Why do you think there have basically been no new big bet poker games for quite some time at higher levels (in fact it might be fair to say there are actually fewer), yet there have been a decent amount of new limit games, not even including the crazy variations created by mixing two games together. A similar question: why are there so many different limit games that are fairly widely played, and so few big bet games?

Why am I so horrible at NL Holdem and when will people stop playing this game so that all the great NL players will be in my games losing their money before they learn the art of never folding?