View Single Post
Old 02-01-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Re: The Dids theory of human [censored]-upery.

[ QUOTE ]
Paluka just said this

"Nope. I believe that the only reason anyone believes in God is because they desperately want there to be one."

Which made me think of this:

Perhaps the biggest flaw in our society (and perhaps the history of mankind, although I don't know nearly enough to make that claim) is our utter inability to accept that there are things that we do not know. We suffer such discomfort in these situations, that we grasp for explanations that may not make the most sense, but make us feel the best.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I literally just posted about this in the other thread. I absolutely agree with you, but to a point, which I'll get to in a bit. I also agree with [censored] in that science has strived to come up with explanations for these things we don't fully understand. But as [censored] also said, the fact that people take religion as the explanation that makes them feel best is likely not enitrely true. I'm sure for many people, the fear of not knowing some of life's eternal, or not so eternal, questions may lead them to God as a way for comforting them. For others, faith is likely instilled in them at a young age by their parents, or they just happen to align with a particular religion's beliefs. However, if the beliefs happen to be of a moral nature, then you can refer back to the God thread about my thoughts on that.