View Single Post
Old 02-01-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Do you believe in some sort of God(s)?

[ QUOTE ]
I believe in great mystery around the origin of the big bang and why there's something instead of nothing. I mean as a physics major, it just makes no sense. EVERYTHING in the universe should be a zero-sum game. Why is there energy? How can SOMETHING come from NOTHING? Even if there's some equal and opposite parallel universe, it still takes positive energy to split the two and create these states of flux that we live in.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could, of course, apply the same reasoning to God. While I think attempts at logically disproving the existence of god(s) are gauche, they are convincing enough to me that I don't really believe in one. (EDIT: This isn't quite right; a better way to put it is that the arguments for god(s) seem obviously silly to me, and absent a strong argument for I don't feel the need to believe.) It is certainly possible that one exists, but I behave as if one doesn't.

For those of you who believe in higher powers with no religious implications: what would you say is the point of this belief? Does it have one?