View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Phil Ivey Gossip

[ QUOTE ]
What a pompous oaf you are DevilDuq, are you going to challenge him to a heads-up game next?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, no. The thought hadn't entered my mind. I might mention, however, that pomposity is not a sin in which I alone share. The mirror, sir, is in the next room.

[ QUOTE ]
The amount of the wager has no bearing on this at all, MArc and Ram have made a wager on their golf play, Ivey lied, it was in essence fraud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly, this is your opinion; not a difficult one to justify, but an opinion nonetheless. I say that the higher the stakes, the more likely a party to the wager is to deceive, and therefore the more necessary it becomes for the participants to ensure that they have not been deceived BEFORE play ensues. In other words, check to make sure the red rubber ball is in fact resting under one of the shells prior to placing your streetcorner wager.

Allow me to quote Mr. Goodwin here:

[ QUOTE ]
Let me put this question to you all. If i had turned up with a pro golfer and Phil said do you get shots off Eric, we said yes 10 . We played and won then he found out should he pay even a penny? If you think that he has been hustled not cheated and its just unlucky then you must be of the opinion that we should pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, some of us are of that opinion. We say if one is foolish enough to make a high-stakes bet (in which having an edge is crucial) under vastly unfavorable terms, even if deception is involved, then the losers are obligated to pay the debt as, if nothing else, a penalty for their own stupidity.

Why, sir, have you no answer for this aspect of the argument? Or do you attempt escape all your betting losses by claiming ex post facto that that the scales were hopelessly tipped in your opponent's favor?