View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Getting published

The reviewers may be blind, but the editors are not. An author's reputation will consciously or unconsciously affect how they weigh the reviews.

Perhaps more importantly, most journals have editors read the papers first to see whether they even deserve to be reviewed. If they get a paper by Random College Senior, they will be much more skeptical than for a paper by Established Professor.

What disjunction says about language is absolutely true, and is probably the biggest obstacle you face. Almost every undergrad paper I've read fails to use the conventional terminology, which is a red flag that the author doesn't know the background literature very well.

When you describe your paper as "fairly mathy and stems from stuff I read in a biology/evolution type book, but its really more of a sociological or even poltical (analytical side) piece of work" that also sets off a BS detector. I haven't read it and I don't know you, so I can't judge, but the odds that you've correctly incorporated insights from 5 different fields are pretty low.