View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 12:32 AM

Default Re: What will make you happy?

I've worked / volunteered with rich kids and poor kids. I have generally found that the poor kids are happier. I've thought about that a lot. The conclusion I have come to is that we live in a society that tells us that money will make us happy. The poor kids can still live with the delusion that they will be happy once they have some money. For many of the young guns one here that have money, but are still not happy, there is a sense of what can I do now?

The things described in the OP can contribute to one's happiness: buying things you like, traveling, never worrying about bills etc.... I can tell you from experience that the times where I have had the most money in my life, were also the most miserable. Right now I have gone back to school, working a part time job, and as a result have had to scale back my lifestyle drastically. I can also tell you that I have never been happier because I am chasing a dream that I have always had, and the financial considerations are in the background.

For you early twenties that are feeling unhappy, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I was a pretty miserable cat throughout my twenties, and it took me 32 years to find my happiness.