View Single Post
Old 01-29-2007, 12:08 AM

Default Re: The Compassionate Faith of Hitleroonism

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I would really, really like to know what you mean by fundamentalism. You seem to have an extremely broad view of it. What parts of the Bible am I allowed to believe are literal and still avoid being called a fundamentalist, by you?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I would really, really like to know what you mean by fundamentalism. You seem to have an extremely broad view of it. What parts of the Bible am I allowed to believe are literal and still avoid being called a fundamentalist, by you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Below are some links and an explanation of what I'm talking about. What you guys are calling "religion" is a very recent phenomenon. You might understand this, but many of the arguments that are being made here are against fundamentalism.

wikipedia article on fundamentalism

The Fundamentalism Project was a decade long project funded by the American Academy of Arts and Science that produced five volumes of research on 75 different fundamentalist movements throughout history. Over 100 scholars from around the world contributed. I haven't read that much of it, but it's really fascinating stuff. They concluded there are five basic characteristics shared by all fundamentalisms:

1. Men hold the power and women are seen as subservient.
2. All rules apply to all people. There can be no pluralism
3. The rules have to be handed down to the next generation precisely.
4. A rejection of modernity and a desire to return to a previous "golden age" that never really existed.
5. The denial of history in a radical way.

Here's a review of it by The Council of Foreign Affairs:
link

I randomly googled it and found a shorter summary if you scroll down on this web page.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am certainly arguing against that, but certainly not exclusively that. How can you claim that the Great Flood story isn't barbaric and far, far worse than the Holocaust?