View Single Post
Old 01-28-2007, 12:30 AM

Default What was wrong with the PPT?

Why does it look like this show is going out? I must have missed something, I thought it was cool and a step foward for poker.

Wasn't it a freeroll? I thought it was cool they were making it more like golf, where you had to qualify and then all those commercials and advertisements (Degree All-In Moment) made up the prize pool.

There's another thread about turning the player of the year race into more of a big deal, each major tournament broadcasting updates and there being some kind of big prize or freeroll at the end. The game within the game, like Nascar and like the PGA is just rolling out. The PPT would have been a great format for something like that.

There are enough great and entertaining pros that I enjoyed just watching them instead of watching final tables with two pros and a bunch of guys i'd never seen before and would never see again. The fact taht anybody can win it is okay, but that doesn't make it more entertaining for me. If we end up with a WSOP ME final table with players nobody has ever heard of next year, how popular will that be?

The biggest part of spectator sports is having someone to root for, having favorites. Every Nascar race your favorite driver is there and has a chance. The PGA is more like the PPT where your one favorite guy might not be in contention everyweek, but he's got a reasonable shot to get there (as opposed to having to fight through 8000 people) and even if he isn't you're guaranteed to have atleast one guy in contention that is a secondary favorite. (If X can't win it then I want Y to.)

You could still qualify to get on the tour based on money winnings in other tournaments and so fowarth, so it isn't biased in such a way that up and coming players don't have their chance.

Anyway, I thought it was cool.