View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Comcast attempting to start blocking?

[ QUOTE ]
If that were the case, changing DNS services wouldn't affect it, nor would Comcast support tell me that those sites are no longer registered with the DNS. I told my router to ignore Comcast's DNS, and to use 2 other ISP DNS servers, and a third one off shore, then had all the computers on the network renew their DHCP. I'm vaguely worried that they may start IP blocking.

edfurlong: I've been using DNS since 1988, and I can't recall having ever run into a system that would only return information for some hosts and not others, unless those hosts were intentionally and regularly deleted from the server.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had past problems with Comcast (Ann Arbor) where some sites would get found just fine and other sites wouldn't (not poker related, but still known-good sites). For example, I could get to google.com but not yahoo.com.

While I was never told by a phone monkey that yahoo.com didn't exist, I also would be skeptical if a Comcast phone monkey said "The sky is blue, and 1pm is after a typical lunch time."

It's not uncommon for this kind of problem to pop up. My solution was to unplug the cable modem for a minute and start over. You might also be able to flush the local machine's DNS cache (ipconfig /flush_dns from a command prompt).

It's not some goofy blocking ploy on Comcast's part.