View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Will Neteller Pay?

The DoJ can seize the profits from illegal activities (if they can get ahold of it). However, playing poker itself was never illegal. And players' funds in Neteller do not even belong to Neteller.

Whatever crimes Neteller committed in the US's eyes(financial transactions to gambling sites) have been committed and is done with. Transferring money back to banks or players is not against any law. In fact, failure to return money to players would constitute blatant theft that would be prosecuted under UK law.

I doubt that Neteller is going to ask the DoJ what it should do. Even if asked, it makes no sense that the DoJ would tell Neteller to not return money legally owed to others. And even if that were to happen (some moronic junior lawyer at the Dept speaking on his own), Neteller would have a very tough time following such 'advice' which would so clearly violate UK law, and which would essentially doom their business with the rest of the world.

Don't get me wrong. I do have concerns: primary of which is that the companies that process those ATM withdrawal will no longer do so, and it becomes much more difficult to get money out. Plus there is a chance that Neteller itself can go under.

But the notion that the DoJ would ever tell Neteller to keep this money is just silly. And likewise for seizing the deposits of a foreign company (remember, they wouldn't even be seizing assets of the firm, but the third party funds held at that firm), which would violate all sorts of UK laws.