View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Limon et al. Let\'s talk properly about minraises!!!!

Minraising. When?

PREFLOP

UTG & MP:

Hardly ever. I will minraise sometimes when I can expect with great frequency that 2 opponents will call any normal size raise and these opponents will have position against me postflop. In other words, having 2 loose passive directly to my left. The hands that I minraise will be PPs less than 99, suited connectors and suited Aces. These situations are rare, though.

CO:

Tight button and small stacks in the blinds when I have a hand I want to raise but can't call an AI from one of the blinds. Example. I have 98s. Button is nitty. SB and BB have 30 BB stacks or less. They are looking to shove with any 2 and my 98s can't handle a 3-bet if I make the standard raise. So, I minraise and play poker postflop.

Button:

Same example as above would apply. I'm looking to play almost anything because I'm in position but I don't want to risk being set AI versus a shortstack. So, instead of raising to 4BBs I will minraise.

Also, against larger stacked blinds if I have raised preflop in last 2 hands (or with great frequency in the last orbit) I will minraise with some of my lesser, yet playable holdings.

SB:

If I have a tightish player in the BB and it's folded to me I will test him out by minraising. Often he has the 'check-fold' button preclicked and I know that I will be able to steal with any 2 cards just by minraising.

If there are 2 or more loose limpers who are unlikely to fold to a standard raise I will minraise a boatload of hands in the SB. These include 22-88, SCs, suited broadways, and suited Aces. I'm looking to flop large and the 'double pot' from my preflop raise makes it much easier to get AI postflop. Also, it allows us to raise preflop and check-fold flops for cheap, which provides a nice balance for loose aggressive play.

BB:

22-88, SCs, suited broadways, and suited Aces after multiple loose limpers.

This is just preflop. I'll try to include some postflop examples.