Thread: Praise Jesus
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Praise Jesus

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently not, judged by some posters, those laws were created by native americans who never heard of sodom and adopted unquestioningly by the later citizens of georgia, or some such.
cheeesh, I'm embarrassed for my species at times.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't seem to find where anyone in the thread said this. Reading for comprehension is fun AND even useful sometimes!

The chain of events likely went something like this. The story of Sodom and Gomorrah was written and later incorporated into the Bible. Because the residents of Sodom (Sodomites) were said to commit "unspeakable unholy acts and sinful behavior" (paraphrase), the word Sodomy was later coined to mean extremely sinful behavior. Somewhere along the line it got morphed into meaning simply anal sex (and perhaps oral in the case of the Georgia law). Some legislator or group of legislators thought the more modern definition of Sodomy was "wrong", and it should even be wrong in a legal sense. Thus he/they passed a law to make sodomy illegal. Apparently the higher-ups in Georgia responsible for the law and not overturning it are all idiots, and now we have this boy in jail for a 10 year sentence. Which is why bills and I are making the claim it is the fault of the members of the government who allowed this sentence to take place, and are allowing it to continue to take place.

So yeah, the lawmakers probably had heard of Sodom at some point. Which is why the word "Sodomy" appears in the law. And then it follows that since the word Sodomy has its origins in a Biblical story, that Jesus and the Bible are at fault for this young man being in jail in the year 2007 (or something like that?) [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]. After all, context isn't important when you want to attack religion, is it?