View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Ask Josem about visiting/living in Australia

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Josem,

I've spent quite a lot of time in Australia & am thinking of emigrating there; however, having been there at Xmas I realise that Sydney is probably out of my price range, where would you recommend moving to? Pertinent information:
1. I have a wife & 2 daughters under 10
2. I have a steady income from real estate so I don't need to work
3. I have friends & family in Sydney so I would like to be within a couple of hours drive.
4. I would like to be close to a good beach

Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Josem's reccomendation of Newcastle or Wollongong is spot on IMO. I don't know a heap about newcastle, but i lived in Wollongong up until about 3 years ago. It is about 90 minutes from the middle of sydney, has great beaches, super nice people, and great weather. Geographically it is fairly unusual in that it has an escarpment on one side of the town and the ocean on the other, so depending on what you want you will be able to find a place to live that you really like. I used to live towards to mountains and it was only like a 15 minute to the beach. Plenty of things to do there like fishing and sailing etc, on top of the usual things. I think there are ~300,000 people living in the greater wollongong area.

Anyway that was my little plug for wollongong - picture