View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Limon et al. Let\'s talk properly about minraises!!!!

I started looking at my game recently and trying to find spots where a minraise is the correct move. This is all done while playing (only 4 tables ftw) and so far I came up with a single situation where I thought a minraise had merit.

In this situation I know villain fairly good (I had a good 'feel' and I know he's tricky and good), I usually fold this preflop but decided to call this because I thought I could outplay him postflop. On the flop I was planning to float him but the most interesting part is probably the turn. Anyway the hand (a decent example of using a minraise as a bluff IMO);

Hero is OTB
Villin is UTG

Effective stacks: 200$

Dealt to hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Preflop;
Villain raises to 7$
Hero calls

Flop (~15$)
4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villain bets 12$
Hero calls 12$

Turn (~39$)
A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain bets 32$
Hero raises to 64$
Villain folds...

At this point I was 80% sure that villain was double barreling me, normally I would just give up but with the perfect turn card for a double barrel and the right villain I decided to try something different.

No idea if this will help anyone since this hand is very much based on reads and feel. But its one hand where the pot was big enough that even a minraise can commit villain without committing me (if he calls he has to expect a push) so it looks very scary without actually costing me that much.