View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Two AA hands - ULTRA-deep 1/2 and 3/6

Yes, I won the first and lost the second. My opponent in the first - who's actually a dealer at my poker club - had a dry set of jacks and only one out. Since I didn't re-raise preflop he didn't put me on aces.

Here's how I should have played the second hand: pot the flop. Check fold the turn. Save monies for another day! When he calls there, I know he isn't folding - either he has a flush he's calling me down with, or a set he's getting committed to. He just lost e1200 the previous hand and pulled up, so (unlike me) he is clearly rolled for the game, and perhaps tilting or ready to take a chance and make a marginal call. He actually had a jack high flush; it took him a while to call river but he did. Bye-bye monies!

It seems to me the chief characteristic of good higher stakes players is they make these marginal calls. My game had gone by this point - I would never have made such a stupid bluff earlier in the night when I was on the 1/2 table. It isn't being tricky - it's being reckless, risking all your chips for no reason.