Thread: Tool
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Tool

I first heard Tool when I was the heavy metal director of my college radio station and they sent the EP. It was awesome from the start. Undertow was dreamy. We saw them on the side stage at Lollapalooza and it was one of the best sets I've ever seen from anyone. Maynard and I had a short conversation about our t-shirts. He was wearing an old KISS shirt and I was wearing a Mister Rogers shirt with the trolley. We also saw them a couple of times at the smaller venues and the shows were fantastic. Aenema was great as well but for some reason the concert didn't grip me as much. It started going downhill with Laterallus and I started losing my interest. Due to fatigue and being bored at the show I actually fell asleep during their arena tour. One of my employees lives for Tool and I've heard 10000 Days many times but the music doesn't grab me like it used to.

Oddly enough I respect the band quite a bit and agree they write fantastic songs in this age of total crap we're in now but they've lost me. The old stuff is still excellent.

I feel the same way about Korn, except Korn lost me after their first album. I feel they fell into that age old problem where the first album is 5 years in the making and totally original and then they enter the studio for the second and they stare at each other and say, "Now what?"