View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 12:14 PM

Default Will Neteller Pay?

I noticed the last thread on this appears to be locked, but I don't see why that is so. I am not trying to muck-rake, I have $3k in neteller that I want to see as badly as the next guy, but I am resigned to the fact that there is a good chance that this will never happen.

My reasoning:

I am assuming that Neteller is now being guided by counsel as to what to do to avoid any further legal exposure. If I were legal counsel to Neteller (and I am an attorney) I would conclude that there is a possibility that by transfering money (over the amount originally funded) to US customers that this may be construed as conspiracy to violate the wire act. If I were Neteller's counsel (and I am assuming based on their conduct at this point that Neteller is trying to comply with the US laws going forward) I would be soliciting the opinion of the DOJ on what to do with the money in US accounts, and trying to leverage this as a way to avoid any further prosecution.

I think there is a realistic possibility that the DOJ will determine who gets paid back what, and I would not be surprised if they seized the money in US accounts in excess of what was deposited by the account holders from banks/credit cards.

In some respect I hope this happens as it might spawn some interesting legal challenges.