View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 03:27 AM

Default Re: wtf am i doing part 2

i don't like the bet and prefer the line i mentioned above (c/c one bet, prob. c/f to two). but let me give a few reasons.

there are essentially 3 scenarios here.* 1) button has a better hand and will raise our flop bet; 2) button has a better hand that will call our flop bet (maybe QQ-88)**; or 3) button has a worse hand (e.g AQ,66) that will fold

1) c/c is much better than betting because: a) we obviously only put in 1 bet instead of 2 when we're drawing, b)we save a bet when someone c/r's c)although it's a big pot, we don't want him to blow away the field b/c there aren't any outs that we want cleared that would actually fold, and if we're drawing we'd rather have everyone stick around to increase our odds.

2) i think c/c is better here too: a)we save bet when someone c/r's. b)we keep the option of c/r'ing a turned 7 to trap the field (i think he'll be more likely to bet again with his weaker hands if we don't show any strength on the flop); c)there's a small chance he lets us see a free turn with a hand like 88 d)beyond that, it doesn't really matter whether we bet and they all call, or he bets and they all call.

c)all worse hands he can reasonably have here are dominated. if we chech we might get some value by hoping he c-bets rather than by just giving him a chance to fold. and again, we save a bet when someone is waiting to c/r with a good hand.

i will admit, however, that if he has a worse hand we often have the best hand, and we don't want it checked through. but his range is weighted more to better hands anyway

*for now i'll ignore the fact that this guy might raise a flop bet with 22 or do some other really weird stuff. if we had a read this could obviously change

**i should mention that i disagree with the guy above who mentioned folding better hands. i really don't see most better hands folding. but i could be wrong here