View Single Post
Old 01-22-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Razz: I think I suck out on the river in a big pot, check-raise river?

[ QUOTE ]
The real question is about the river. I'm dead certain he'll make a bet with a 96 here if I check to him (even though I do fold a 97 here), so I wonder if I can check-raise for value. I can safely fold to a 3bet, and I'm not sure he can fold a 96 in this huge pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll stick to comments on the river since that was really your question. The answer comes down to whether you think he will bet a 96 if you check. You can be almost SURE he has at least that, and he knows this since s8 caught two of the other Aces on board. Even so, very few players will have the discipline NOT to bet their 96 into your likely 97 for value. If it's likely he'll bet, then this is one of the few situations where a C/R is best in Razz. With your board, what will he put you on? Very likely a smooth 7, which he can only beat if he makes his 6. At most he has 7 outs to make that hand, and then he 3 bets (which you can certainly fold to if he is a solid player). Even if he's a maniac and you have to pay him off, he's more than a 4:1 dog to hit his 6. He has 6 more outs to actually beat you, but will only smooth call. So since you're a 2:1 fave to win when he calls, you'd much rather get in 2 bets instead of one when there's no way he's laying it down.

If he's smart enough to check it back to you, then you might as well just lead out and take your one extra bet (folding to a raise from a solid player).