View Single Post
Old 01-21-2007, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Help me totally change my eating habits... PLEASE.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Healthy Choice/Lean Cuisine/etc. frozen dinners. They have been a godsend for me. 5 minutes in the microwave, very healthy, and the food isn't bad at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

any male with a decent appetite can easily eat 3-5 of these. i'm certain you can find a more cost effective meal solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two should be plenty for a normal person. I typically only eat one a time, but sometimes I'll eat 4 or 5 meals a day, which is healthier than eating larger meals less frequently.

Initially I thought there'd be no chance they could fill me up either, but my belief now is that I was actually overeating on a regular basis before (and I think most people do for that matter).

It takes a minute for you to feel full when you're eating. So, especially if you're a fast eater like me, it's very easy to overeat and only feel full later. I've found that, even w/ portions as small as the Healthy Choice dinners, if I eat while doing something else (playing poker/watching TV etc.) that I'll feel full say 15 minutes after finishing and have no desire to eat anything else. But that's just me.

Now I'm actually trying to gain weight (and OP should be too if his build is any indication), so I don't prefer the Healthy Choice meals from a low-calorie perspective so much as I do a convenience perspective. It is not easy to eat healthy when you don't have much time to prepare meals.

You can eat out healthy through select items at select places. I am a fixture at Subway and Chipotle.

Edited to add: Really depends on the item of course. Meatball Marinara, not so much. Ham, turkey, and/or roast beef, on wheat, w/ low-cal dressing? Sure. And you can get detailed nutrition facts online for chain-type places. Hint: Much harder to find healthy things at Quizno's than Subway. You'd be surprised at how much/little is in certain things when you look them up. One of the least healthy things in my chipotle burritos/burrito bols were the peppers, because of the fat from the cooking oil.

Also, if you drink milk (and you should, at least a little), switch to skim. Really does not taste that different, especially once you get used to it. And you eliminate a ton of fat.