View Single Post
Old 01-20-2007, 03:40 AM

Default Re: Moderates sheltering fundamentalists

[ QUOTE ]
bunny,

It sounds to me like you aren't what Dawkins is refering to when he discusses moderates who shelter extremists. The main point I take from it is that moderates are those who don't take a literal interpretation and use it to define what is morally right where extremists do (by this criteria I guess you would be considered moderate).

Where your stance differs from Dawkins definition is in the fact that you think that beliefs should be questioned. The moderates that Dawkin's refers to are the ones who don't question the beliefs of extremists because they don't want to attract attention to their own irrational beliefs.

The harm that these moderates do is not in their own actions but in the shield that they provide to extremists by shutting the door on questioning religious beliefs. Its as if they are embarrased about some teachings of the bible (as any compassionate believer should be) and don't want to face the tough questions.

[/ QUOTE ]
I also dont think "what's in the bible" is automatically moral. The way I read dawkins though, he intended it to apply to all believers and this would have to include me. Havent heard back from him yet though...