View Single Post
Old 01-19-2007, 03:02 PM

Default Re: So who\'s REALLY behind this anti-online gaming push?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"You may be right, but I think there is a pretty good chance we will all be playing at Harrah's on-line in about 6 months."

As much as I wold love for this to be true, I think we are drawing dead on the possibility of this happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why's that??

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you listened to the politicians' speeches in support of the bill ("that poor kid who robbed a bank to pay poker debts", "click a mouse, lose your house", etc.) this was obviously more "OMG What about the children!!!" than "What about all the lost tax revenue?"

I guess you oculd argue that the moral crusade was all B.S. and that the real motivation is money. I doubt it, but even if true it would be pretty difficult for politicians to justify U.S.-based online poker months after arguing how evil and dangerous it is to America's youth. If it happens at all it will be years, not months.

[/ QUOTE ]

The moral crusade is BS. And they will have no problem doing an about face on the issue. They can argue that it will be easier to regulate and "keep our children safe" now that everyone is playing on sites under American control. Then they'll pull out a pie chart showing how the tax revenue being generated is going to schools or something.