View Single Post
Old 02-11-2006, 02:01 PM

Default Pocket AA Turn Play

During last nights session I had a lot of trouble with my post-flop play of pocket pairs. I think over the next day or so I want to throw three to five hands out for analysis so I can better understand what I'm doing wrong.

Ultimate Bet 0.01/0.02 Hold'em (7 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Anti-hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB :Villain1 posts a blind of $0.01.
<font color="#CC3333">Anti-hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 :Villain2 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB :Villain1 (poster) calls, BB calls.

Completely standard pre-flop play.

Flop: (10 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villain1 bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Anti-hero raises</font>, Villain2 calls, CO calls, Villain1 calls.

Again, standard flop behavior.

Turn: (9 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villain1 bets</font>, Anti-hero ???

Here is where I wanted some discussion, and I'd like to see something more thought out than "just raise" blindly. I'd like to understand the merits of raising vs. calling. There is a very real possibility I am behind to Villain1 but Villain2 is a passive player with "fishy" PT stats and his hand is unknown. He has cold-called pre-flop and on the flop.

The situation with Villain2 might be interesting. Assuming Villain 2 is sitting there with one pair he has five outs to beat me, thus by merely calling he gets 11:1 for his 8.2:1 draw vs. my hand. However If I raise he only gets 6:1 and it's clearly a mistake for him to call with just a pair. No matter what Villain1 has the odds to call a raise even with just a pair (at least relative to me if I have the best hand)

This flip side is, of course, the possibility that I raise and then one of the villains three-bets me but then I have to re-evalute.

So:

1) Raise or call in this immediate position?
2) Possible lines of play for the rest of the hand?