View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Goals & Objectives of a New Poker Lobbying Organization

[ QUOTE ]

Organizational Structure:
1. Hire an attorney to figure out what the structure will look like. Don't try to do this yourselves, the legal rammifications are far too great and the law far too incomprehensible for non-attorneys to do. I've got a great referral for you. He's relatively cheap, very respected, and specializes in elections law and political organizations. The setup will cost you about $3500 flat fee. PM me and I'll send you his contact info and whom to tell him sent you. He's in San Francisco, but you should just need a fax machine if you want to get started. If you're outside of CA, he can recommend you to other attorneys.

Again with the Fundraising: Ok, if you get that far, you now need to come up with a fundraising plan to put this organization together. Who do you know who has contacts in the poker world? Are you a fundraiser (if you're not sure, then you're not)? Do you know wealthy poker players who would give to this? Draw up a plan to raise $25,000 (who you're going to ask for how much) . . . remember to aim high on the asks so you settle into the range you need (and find a couple of nice surprises to offset the "call me back in 6 months" rejections).

Ok, I'll stop there for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

All great advice. I would add that one looks over 3 good choices for an attorney. Having set up a 501c3 I know that the process is quite difficult and you 100% need an attorney. (Mine did it for free so I was very lucky.)

Fundraising. I would look at the poker sites and come up with an graded amount to ask of each one based on the number of players they have. From the top ones I wouldn't take less than $200,000 each as a promise. It wouldn't have to be paid immediately and set it up so that the process moves along and their concerns are met...BUT if the poker sites aren't interested in this (they have a bigger stake), then I wouldn't waste much of my own time. It would be a non-starter.

Beyond the US government, the poker sites really have f**cked this up and are too blame. They should have done what is trying to be done now. They didn't and it is going to cost them or they will die.