View Single Post
Old 01-17-2007, 06:07 PM

Default Re: The Poker Tournament Formula by Arnold Snyder...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your M is calculated from the blinds you will likely be paying not what other players are paying no??? In the example you give, when it's my turn to post a big blind if I know I will have an M of 2 then the fact that someone else has an M of 13 when they post blinds is basically irrelevent.

[/ QUOTE ]

First it's not irrelevant because your stack size compared to your opponents' stack size is always relevant. Second, the point is how many hands you get to see before your M value drops. The faster M goes down, the less you can wait for good hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all nobody is stating that your stack size compared to your opponent's isn't relevent. The relevency pertains to someone else's M and how it affects your strategy when you have a completely different M. In your example that you claim illustrates your point your M is virtually never 13 but virtually always much lower. Your M is not decreasing at the rate per hand as you imply. Based on what you reasonably expect to pay in the blinds when you have to post them per your example, your M actually stays pretty much in the range that dictates a strategy that does not change from hand to hand if we use Harrington's recommendations as a guide. Your M is based on what you expect to pay in the blinds and of course your stack size. Not on what someone else has to pay. Your example basically doesn't refute Mason's point in the least.