View Single Post
Old 01-17-2007, 01:30 AM

Default Re: Rate This \"Edge\"

[ QUOTE ]
EV is $25,000

[/ QUOTE ]

o.K. given your skill level using ~ 4% of possible information ( your two cards) you have an EV of 25k. Now you are able to see 2 more cards (~4% more). I assume that your skill level stays the same, that is that you don't become a better player because you have more information. Then it would appear that if you have an EV of 25k with 4% information then your EV would double to 50K when you have 8% of the information available to you and your opponents still must use their 4% info against you. There are a few issues that would have an impact on your EV. Number one is that in tournaments the payouts are structured top heavy and you EV is probably not linear with relation to your edge. I imagine that in a tournament as your edge goes up your EV increases at a greater rate because your liklihood of finishing higher in the money goes up. So if the buy-in is 10k and you have a 25k EV then you probably average finishing in the third or fourth payout level. So with a 2000 person field the initial money is approximately 15k to number 200-175 players. 25k probably makes you a 120 to 140 finisher. Doubling your information should atleast allow you to improve your finish from 120-140 to 60-70. My guess is that 60-70 finishers get about 100k. So double the information is probably worth 4 times the EV.

An issue that might affect the EV downward is the fact that you must do everything possible to keep the player that is showing his cards in the tournament. To do that you need to give up some EV. If this is not an issue then my guess is that EV quadruples.

leaponthis