View Single Post
Old 01-12-2007, 05:15 AM

Default Re: Help settle this argument - Hot A/C

AC dehumidifies air by making it colder. Everyone saying their AC does have dehumidifying effects no matter what the heater is set to must agree that at some point the air coming into the cabin is made colder than the ambient temperature.

If you believe the temperature coming out of your vents remains the same with AC on or off, the argument must be that the air is heated back up again before it gets there. The only heating element after the AC's evaporator (the component which cools/dehumidifies the air) is the heater core.

In every car I'm familiar with, the heater temp control will regulate a specific amount of coolant flowing into the heater core. It doesn't care what the outside temperature is or whether the AC is on. In that case there's no way the heater can heat colder, air conditioned air to the same temperature as warmer ambient air.

I don't know how these newer cars work. It's possible that there is some kind of system in place these days that will force the heater core to heat air to a specific temperature before passing it through the vents.