View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Making The Best Post-Workout Protein Shake?

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with a lot of the ingredients. You want very little fat to be in your post-workout (PWO) shake -- that means you'll want to take out the peanut butter and almonds. What's important is to have simple, quick-absorbing carbs in the right ratio to the amount of protein in your shake. Honey, plain yogurt, and oatmeal all have a fairly low GI (glycolic index, the measure of how quickly something can be broken down to glucose) so they are not ideal additions to your PWO shake.

I'm sure your shake is pretty tasty however. I'm also being a bit nitty about the contents of the shake, but hey you asked. It's obviously most important to lift regularly and have a protein shake afterwards than it is to be a bit anal about the macronutrition profile of your shake.

Edit: FWIW, my shake is a scoop of Optimum Whey Vanilla with 1.5 scoops of Dextrose. For me, this is close to the ideal 2:1 ratio of carbsrotein. Also, 5g of creatine monohydrate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lock the thread. Other than making sure that your shake stays inline with your calorie requirements, and you drink it within 30 minutes of leaving the gym, this is the only right answer.