View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 09:01 AM

Default Re: Is This Cheating?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

One could argue about unwritten rules or gentlemen behavior, but something like that doesn't exist in the world of gamblers and hustlers anymore. It's all about money and everything not expressively forbidden is allowed. It is the player's responsibility to protect his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement would justify every angle shot there is.

Shandrax, I am not coming at you personally with this. And in no way am I implying that you are an angle shooter.

If you can see the mans cards through his glasses, that's his tough luck. That player is not protecting his hand.

A player who has a physical impairment, well, it seems a little different to me. I have personally tried to look away when this situation has come up. ( he was a sweet old man, falling off his death bed, to come to the card room to play )

There has to be some sort of honour among theives?

[/ QUOTE ]

I play 100% online, so I can't shoot any angles and I am certainly not colluding with someone else.

That aside, I think there is a problem if you want to go too far with unwritten rules. They are usually not clear enough. I am a lawyer in real life, so I can tell you that it's not easy to convict someone on the basis of unwritten rules. If something is clearly wrong it should be expressively forbidden. Everything else is in a grey area, certainly not nice, but not illegal either.

That's where I draw the line: Cheating is illegal and it should be punished hard. Everything else is just bad behavior with undefined consequences.

Last but not least, in the good ole days, even the thieves had some sort of honor.