View Single Post
Old 01-08-2007, 08:40 PM

Default Re: The Wire -- What Am I Missing?

[ QUOTE ]
I want them to cut down on the boring filler, and really show me what it's about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Zyse - if you stick with the series, you'll find that alot of what might seem like "filler" to you has some point - whether to extend the theme, act as a plot-driving device, character expansion, whatever. I honestly can't think of a wasted scene having now watched all 4 seasons. If anything, The Wire writers are really efficient, and it seems don't try to waste a single word of dialogue.

[ QUOTE ]
The Wire watches like I'm actually in the police department for a day, sitting down and watching them do their job.

For a television show, that is boring.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that's fairly extreme - and yeah if true it would be super boring. The writers and producers are still mindful this is a TV series meant to engage the viewer, and as Shaniac kind of alluded to, even though some of the moments are more "quotidian" in nature, it's not boring once you get into the characters, and see the quotidian moment in its rightful place in the series arc, in the lives of the character etc.

-Al