View Single Post
Old 01-07-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Re: SCKeylogger found - what is next?

Be sure to change passwords to email sites as well as they can be used to launch social engineering attacks.

Well, my recommendation is to format the laptop to be on the safe side. Yes, you can try removal and spybot may have done the job, but many of the trojans nowadays are able to resurrect themselves. Also you could have some sort of stealth trojan thats not showing up that was responsible for installing the logger.

Only thing to consider is if you want to save the HD for possible forensics investigation (ie everything is fine now, in a day your have problems with money missing from the bank, the cops may be intersted in the HD contents). Thats up to you... As for using the laptop, to me its just not worth the risk that the laptop hasn't been fully cleaned, format is safest.

Some other advice -- have a completely separate computer for poker/financial transactions if you can afford to. Don't let the kids use it. Don't websurf with it except to go to known safe sites, ie bank/neteller, etc. If your patches/security isn't up to date it can be easy for lots of nasty crap to get on the computer just by websurfing.

I would add ZoneAlarm as well to your computers. Its a free firewall that last time I checked is considered superior to windows firewall.

Make sure your wireless connection is encrypted.