View Single Post
Old 01-07-2007, 04:16 AM

Default Re: 2008 National Champions (NCAAF)

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that Michigan can beat 75% of their opponents by just relying on having better players means Carr is doing a hell of a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it does not mean that at all. You could argue that he is a great recruiter, which he isn't really, but I don't see how you can logically believe that a coach is good because he can beat teams with less talent, and lose to teams with more talent. Obviously he has the occassional win against other great teams, but that can easily be counter-balanced by the losses he has against sub-par teams.

Let me ask you a question. Look at Michigan's track record in big games over the last five years. They are something like 2-11 or something similarly atrocious. Do you really think that Michigan had less talent in any of those games? Maybe a couple at the most, but I can't imagine more than a few. They lose because they get outcoached. So why is Carr a "great coach" when he cannot beat teams with equal talent? Seems to me that's the sign of a pretty poor coach.

An aside...I am not a disgruntled fan who is yelling for Carr's head after the USC and OSU games. I have been saying for years that while he will consistently win us 8-10 games per season, he will very rarely, if ever, be able to get us to achieve to our potential, like some great coaches around the country are able to do.